We’re seeking a full-time Director to lead The New Tropic, a community-driven digital media startup that’s about helping Miamians live like they live here.
Our ideal candidate is a creative, community-driven journalist in Miami who is comfortable leading and producing digital storytelling work with a small team in a fast-paced environment. You’ve ideally managed teams or projects before, produced daily media products, and have a strong record of community engagement and leadership in Miami. The New Tropic is the first local brand of WhereBy.Us, serving hundreds of thousands of Miamians, and the local director is responsible for informing, engaging and growing that community through a daily email newsletter, digital storytelling, community partnerships, and local experiences.
WhereBy.Us is a media startup that’s helping curious locals make the most of their cities. Our purpose is to help people live like they live here — and build a model for doing so that can serve growing cities around the world. We’re a team that cares about the future of cities like Miami and the people who live in them. We want to help our communities to be stronger, better connected, and more awesome. We do that through a mix of useful, substantive, and delightful storytelling — things like local voter guides, explainers on important issues, contributions from local leaders, answers to our community’s questions, quizzes to help you explore Miami, videos about beloved sushi spots and your favorite neighborhood characters, help finding your new favorite running route, and the occasional meme. We also make interesting local experiences to help bring people together and explore our city and we’re working to build a new community-supported model for local news.
We offer competitive salary and full benefits including health insurance, dental and vision coverage, a 401k, and commuter benefits. Candidates must be able to work full-time in Miami, FL. Deadline to apply is October 24, 2018.
The director will:
- Manage the planning, production, and publication of The New Tropic and its associated products, including newsletter, website, events, and social accounts.
- Grow the impact and community of The New Tropic and its associated products, including newsletter, website, events, and social accounts.
- Manage a storytelling producer, freelancers and other contributors, a budget, and the strategic vision for The New Tropic.
- Work collaboratively with others in the company to achieve shared goals around growth in our community impact, audience reach and engagement, and revenue.
- Work collaboratively with the community to understand and serve its needs and provide best-in-class value to our users.
- Publicly represent The New Tropic in Miami in ways that help us serve our communities, bring fresh ideas and perspectives to our work, and unlock opportunities for growing our community, revenue, and impact in our city.
Skills & Qualifications
To be a great candidate for this job, you have:
- Full-time professional experience in daily digital journalism, including reporting, writing, editing, distributing, and planning news and news features on deadline and on budget.
- Digital media expertise including SEO fundamentals, experience working in a CMS, visual editing skills, and knowledge of audience development principles.
- Deep understanding of and passion for social media storytelling and an ability to plan and create stories for various platforms that people are excited to use and share.
- Excellently managed people, projects, and budgets.
- Used data-driven decision making to achieve goals.
- Leadership experience in Miami, and a desire for a public-facing role in our community. This is not a typical media or journalism job, it’s also a community leadership role in which you will be working with and accountable to our users.
Nice to Haves
We love people who:
- Love to learn and learn on the job.
- Are proactive and like solving problems.
- Are relentlessly curious about the world around them.
- Approach other people and challenging situations with empathy.
- Love helping people discover, engage, and feel more connected to where they live.
We’re more interested in working with great people than in lists of qualifications. If you want to work with us but don’t check all these boxes, that’s OK. We still want to hear from you if you think you would be awesome for this role.
No applications will be accepted by email. Please submit the following in the additional information section of our job application form.
- Links to 3 samples of your work, with explanations of your role in each project. (Less than 300 words.)
- Critiques of 3 things The New Tropic has produced since September 1, 2018. (Less than 300 words.)
- A brief summary (Less than 300 words.) of your personal engagement with Miami. What kinds of communities, activities, and interests energize you? What parts of the city are you most curious about?
- A brief explanation (Less than 300 words.) of how you would grow the impact and audience of The New Tropic as its leader.